Functional Skill

Modal + Have + V-ed2 (Ungkapan tentang kewajiban/keharusan yang tidak terpenuhi pada waktu lampau)

Tomi: Hi, Vira. What are you doing with all those stuffs
Vira: Oh, Hi Tomi! I'm going to help my aunty cook some food. She should have cooked the food but she got fever this morning.
Tomi: Oh, I see. What I can do for you, Vira?
Vira: Well, would you mind to come this afternoon, and help me to open this cafe?
Tomi: Sure. I'll be glad to come. Okay, see you soon, Vira.
Vira: Thank you, Tom.

The bold words in show that vira's aunty could not cook the food the morning. This condition is state by the words should have cooked. The grammatical pattern modal + have + V-ed2 is used to express an obligation that could not be completed or fulfilled in the past.
Here are some examples.

     1. My mother should have attended the important meeting in her office.
        Fact: My mother didn't attend the important meeting in her office.
     2. Sari could have won the tender of teh big project.
        fact: Sari didn't win the tender of the big project.
     3. Mrs Tina ought not to have closed her barber shop.
        Fact: Mrs Tina closed her barber shop.
     4. My sister might not have started the boutique business with limited capital.
        Fact: She started the boutique business with limited capital.
        Note: Ought to has the same meaning as should.
Back To Top